Delta Sigma Theta
January 13, 1913, Howard University
November 11, 1969
Crimson & Cream
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was founded on January 13, 1913 by twenty-two young, determined, and educated women on the campus of Howard University. Although they were from vastly different backgrounds, these women bonded for one purpose-to impact society through sisterhood. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. flourishes as a sisterhood of more than 200,000 women in chapters located all over the world. As a result of its vast membership, Delta Sigma Theta is the largest amongst the nine traditionally African American Greek letter organizations.
The sorority’s aim of public service is based on the organization’s “Five Point Thrust”: Economic Development, Educational Development,International Awareness and Involvement, Physical and Mental Health, and Political Awareness and Involvement. Delta Sigma Theta has initiated a variety of national service programs including a partnership with Habitat for Humanity International and School America, a program which encourages youth to read to their peers as a way of combating illiteracy.
Eight women referred to as “The Great Eight” chartered the Zeta Psi Chapter at the University of Georgia on November 11, 1969. They paved the way for over four hundred capable black women to serve the university and Athens community. At the University of Georgia, Zeta Psi continues to lead in its efforts to serve the community. Through participation in Dance Marathon and other fundraising projects, Zeta Psi raises money that can be donated towards research and medical facilities. Additionally Zeta Psi hosts the annual Miss Black University of Georgia Pageant, which raises funds for the Kimberlee N. Chatmon Memorial Scholarship, in memory of the chapter’s first deceased member. The scholarship is awarded to a local area high school senior each spring. Because of its powerful sisterhood, scholarship and service, the Zeta Psi Chapter was awarded the 2005- 2006 and 2011-2014 NPHC Sorority of the Year and named Organization of the Year 2011-2012. The chapter continues it’s legacy as they have been constantly recognized on campus and Nationally for their service to the community.